For breakfast I eat up my vowels, my a e i o u, to which I add from consonants a fricative or two;
After that I move my bowels then write as poets do, and frequently am quite surprised to feel a trill come through.

Saturday 7 April 2012

One hundred poems, one hundred poets. #3

Tiresome mountain trail
of the copper pheasant's tail, 
its long trailing tail,
how much longer is this night
I must also sleep alone?



Folkloric Background


In Japanese folklore mountain fowl are said to sleep alone, with pairs seperated at night on opposite slopes of the mountainside - hence the poets reference to himself sleeping alone 'also/too'.

あしびきの 
山鳥の尾の 
しだり尾の 
ながながし夜を 
ひとりかもねむ 


Kakinomoto Hitomaro


Romaji & crib:


ashibiki no (pillow-word modifier of mountain, peak)
foot/leg drag | of
yamadori no o no 
mountain fowl |of | tail | of
shidari o no 
drooping/trailing | tail | of
naganagashi yo o 
long, long so | night | acc. particle
hitori ka mo nemu
alone | do | also | sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment