For breakfast I eat up my vowels, my a e i o u, to which I add from consonants a fricative or two;
After that I move my bowels then write as poets do, and frequently am quite surprised to feel a trill come through.

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Para Beşlisi (Five of Coins)
A little bit of Turkish: Olmak (to be) Etmek (to do, make; to be worth, to amount to) -sız (meaning 'without' ) -mez (suffix of negation)




beş parasız - lit. without five pennies, fig. penniless
beş paralık olmak/etmek - lit. to be/to do five pennies worth, fig. to expose shameful secrets
beş para etmez - lit. not worth five pennies, fig. of something that is trashy, worthless.


The image of the Five of Coins above is from a 1910 pack of tarot cards produced by Pamela Colman Smith for Arthur Edward Waite. For a modern reproduction I recommend the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set.

No comments:

Post a Comment